A fantastic side to go with a meal, these polenta chips look naughty but are actually a pretty healthy little treat. Polenta – which is made from corn – is a source of both fibre and protein, low in calories, low in fat, contains complex carbs (slow release carbs), has Vitamin A and essential minerals, and it’s gluten free! Polenta is a great pantry staple which keeps for ages and works as a great potato replacement. The original recipe is from Roza’s Gourmet Sauces.
- 220g fine polenta
- 1 litre of water
- 1 stock cube
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp dried rosemary
- ¼ tsp salt
- A pinch of pepper
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- Roza’s Gourmet Smokey Aioli or Tomato Chutney
- Bring the water and stock to the boil in a large pot.
- Grease a square dish or baking tin with olive oil.
- Once the water is boiling, pour the polenta in gradually while whisking. Continue to whisk until it thickens, add rosemary and nutritional yeast.
- Pour polenta mixture into the dish and smooth out the mixture with a spatula.
- Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- When you are ready to cook, preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Remove polenta from the dish and cut it into chip shapes.
- Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper and transfer the chips onto the tray.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on top and bake for 40 mins, turning them over halfway, making sure they are golden brown and crisp on the edges.
- Serve with Roza’s Gourmet Smokey Aioli or Roza’s Gourmet Tomato Chutney. If you’re feeling like a bit of both, mix them together for a smoky, creamy and tomatoey hit.
Grab all your groceries from an Aunt Maggie’s retailer in Carlton, Fitzroy and Malvern. Head to auntmaggiesorganics.com.au for more info.