Outpouring of tributes for Earthcore founder Spiro Boursine following his death

Outpouring of tributes for Earthcore founder Spiro Boursine following his death


Following the shock death of a music industry figure in Melbourne this week, the community has seen an outpouring of tributes recognising his life’s work in the entertainment business.

Officers were called to Antique Bar last weekend after reports that a man had been assaulting patrons at the premises, according to a police statement. Patrons held him down until police arrived on scene. The man was later discovered to be Earthcore founder Spiro Boursine by friends and family, the founder of the much loved dance festival. He died in police custody on Sunday morning. 

The passing has rocked the music industry and tributes have started to emerge online from those close to him. Former Earthcore general manager Gary ‘Binaural’ Neal told The Age that Boursine was instrumental in paving the way for a new community.

“Spiro created a subculture in Australia that turned in to one of the biggest alternative community followings that I think Australia’s got within the dance scene,” Mr Neal said.

“I mean, it created dance, it created fashion … it became a lifestyle for many, many people. Without Spiro, we wouldn’t have that.”

Dark Riddims’ managing director Jimmy Barber also posted on Facebook about Spiro’s legacy in the dance music scene: “Today the Australian electronic music scene lost a polarising icon. Love him or hate him, he was still an icon and RIP Spiro.”

A colleague of Boursine’s for six years, George Grigoriadis, said Australia had lost a trailblazer. “He was an innovator of the festival scene in Australia and it’s a sad day,” Mr Grigoriadis said.

Boursine’s mother, Christine Boursinos, targeted the police response on the night, saying that the death should have been avoided.

“I don’t know how it happened or what happened inside that bar but I am really angry — my son should be alive.”

Other tributes were posted to Twitter:

Victoria Police spokeswoman, Senior Constable Melissa Seach, explained in a statement that once the police arrived at the bar, the situation had got out of hand.

“Police arrested the man and placed him in handcuffs when he lost consciousness,” she said. “Police attempted to revive the man until Ambulance Victoria arrived and took over.

“Despite the efforts of emergency service personnel, the man died at the scene. A post-mortem examination will be conducted to try and determine the cause of death.”