The current lockdown settings will continue in Melbourne for the extended period while regional Victoria will see some restrictions eased.
On the penultimate day of Victoria’s circuit breaker lockdown, Acting Premier James Merlino has announced a seven-day extension on the current restrictions within metropolitan Melbourne.
What you need to know
- Victoria has recorded six new locally-acquired COVID-19 cases overnight
- Metropolitan Melbourne and regional Victoria will have different restriction levels for the extended lockdown period
- The lockdown is now due to conclude at 11:59pm on Thursday June 10
Stay up to date with what’s happening in Melbourne here.
With the Victorian COVID-19 cluster now at 60 active cases and over 350 exposure sites identified, the Acting Premier said the government had “no choice” but to extend the lockdown.
“If we let this thing run its course, it will explode,” he said.
There will still only be five reasons to leave home for the extended lockdown period in metropolitan Melbourne, however the permitted exercise and essential shopping radius will be expanded to 10km.
Masks will continue to be mandatory whenever outside the home.
While, at this stage, the extended lockdown is scheduled to lift before the Queen’s Birthday long weekend, Merlino has warned that Melburnians will not be permitted to travel to regional areas over the long weekend.
For Regional Victoria, the five reasons to leave home will be lifted as of 11:59pm on Thursday June 3.
Outdoor gatherings will be capped at ten people, retail and personal services (such as beauty and tattooing) will be allowed to resume, however it will be mandatory to check-in via the Service Victoria QR system for retail and supermarkets. Personal services will need to check IDs for all customers.
Those living in Regional Victoria will only be allowed to travel to Melbourne for permitted reasons and must follow Melbourne restrictions while they’re there.
Hospitality will be permitted to offer seated service for no more than 50 customers at any one time. The four-square metre rule will be reinstated.
Outdoor seated and unseated entertainment will be capped at 50 people or 50 per cent of the venue’s seating capacity – whichever is lower will be applicable.
The Victorian government has also announced financial support for businesses with a further $209 million for hospitality, retail events and creative industries, on top of the previously announced $250 million package.
Statement from the Acting Premier on restrictions pic.twitter.com/8h5l9ova4k
— James Merlino (@JamesMerlinoMP) June 2, 2021
For more information, visit the DHHS website.