A huge range of experiences including a Korean Food Festival, a Moulin Rouge pop-up and new picnic areas are coming to Melbourne this summer.
City of Melbourne announced the events, which form part of their City Activation Grant funding scheme, aimed at revitalising the city amid ongoing restrictions that are decimating city businesses.
The council announced earlier this week that 78 arts projects are now underway, that have received a share of $300,000 under the Quick Response Arts Grants program. Today they’re announcing that eight organisations have received funding to host activations under the first tranche of the $1.75 million City Activation Grants program.
Earlier today they announced that New Year’s Eve’s cancelled drone show will now exhibit twice per-night in Docklands. Today, came the announcement that giant Australian animal puppets and street performers are taking over Docklands this month. Exact dates are yet to be set though, so stay tuned for more information.
Other events scheduled for this month
- A Korean Street Food Festival in the CBD
- A Moulin-Rouge pop-up experience
- Live screenings of the Australian Open in Carlton
- An art installation and cultural food walking tour in Melbourne’s north and west.
Stay up to date with what’s happening in and around Melbourne here.
“There is something for everyone in Docklands this summer – from our jaw-dropping nightly drone shows, to sun-drenched afternoon spritz sessions, and now some fantastic family fun with puppets and performers,” Lord Mayor Sally Capp said.
“The City Activation Grants will deliver a huge range of pop-ups across the municipality to surprise and delight Victorians this year.
“I am thrilled to see the first round of events come to life as we soak up everything marvellous Melbourne has to offer in 2022.”
Summer Melbourne activities
- Big Screen Company – Australian Open live screenings
- Sophie deLightful Presents – Mobile circus and roving performers
- Collins Street Precinct Group – Moulin Rouge themed pop-up experiences
- Pizza Monster Melbourne – Korean Street Food Festival
- YO City – Pop-up picnics in open spaces featuring live music and screenings from Black, Indigenous and People of Colour filmmakers
- Snuff Puppets – Large scale roaming puppets
- Street Performance Australia – Street theatre and performers
North and West Melbourne
- SalamFest – Activations including an art installation expressing Muslim culture, and a cultural food walking tour
For more information, head here.