Stuffed with cottage cheese, rather than meat and the usual cheddar cheese, means these enchiladas are a lighter and healthier option. All the blended veggies provide flavour and, when mixed with the cottage cheese, mimic the thickness of the typical minced meat filling. Cottage cheese is low in calories but very high in protein and calcium, making it great for your bones and muscles. This healthy recipe is originally from La Totilleria, it serves about four people, and is ready in 20 minutes.
- 8 La Tortilleria corn tortillas
- 3 tomatoes
- ½ brown onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp stock powder
- Salt, to taste
- 300g cottage cheese
- Cooking oil
- 2 tbsp sour cream, to serve
- ½ an avocado, to serve
- Place tomatoes, onion and garlic in a pot and cover with water. Boil for approximately 15 minutes or until soft.
- Drain the water from the pot and place the contents in a blender, adding stock powder to the mix.
- Blend until smooth and season to taste.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Place the tortillas one-by-one in the oil for about 30 seconds, flip and repeat.
- The tortillas should be heated but not crispy. Add extra oil as needed. Drain the tortillas on a paper towel.
- Dip a fried tortilla into the red salsa, then place on a serving plate ready to be filled. Repeat for the remaining tortillas.
- Spoon cottage cheese onto each tortilla and fold in half.
- Pour the red sauce over the top. Top with sour cream and sliced avocado.
- Buen Provecho!
Grab all your groceries from an Aunt Maggie’s retailer in Carlton, Fitzroy and Malvern. Head to auntmaggiesorganics.com.au for more info.