Re-discover the city and unlock art, music and different treasures with Xplore Melbourne — a free self-guided, augmented reality scavenger hunt, featuring art, music, and discovery points across the city of Melbourne.
Xplore Melbourne is a free self-guided, augmented reality scavenger hunt, featuring art, music, and discovery points across the city of Melbourne and it kicks off tomorrow, running from November 10 until January 2022. It spans 10 different CBD locations.
Showcasing hidden bars and restaurants, retail, accommodation and other venues impacted by the challenges of COVID-19, each month will spotlight different local artists, musicians and much-loved venues in a bid to reactivate the CBD through physical and augmented experiences.
What you need to know
- Xplore Melbourne is a new scavenger hunt that’s self-guided with augmented reality
- It features art, music, and discovery points and showcases hidden bars and restaurants
- It kicks off tomorrow, running from November 10 until January 2022
Stay up to date with what’s happening in Melbourne here.
Kicking off early November and transforming parts of the city until January 2022, participants will start the treasure hunt at the corner of Swanston Street and Collins Street, scan the QR code to activate the Acknowledgement of Country and find the clue for the next location.
Xplore Melbourne activates ten different locations that will creatively unlock art, music as well as offering up exclusive specials, such as retailer discounts, free tickets to the NGV, multi-night stays at a CBD hotel, and more.
Some of the best and much-loved local artists the state has to offer are involved in the project. Expect to see a new largescale artwork by artist MEGGS, and existing works reimagined by the likes of Mike Makatron, DVATE, Sofles, Adnate (pictured above), and Kitt Bennett. The commissioned and existing artworks will be brought to life and through augmented reality that will take over public spaces across the city.
In partnership with the GRID Series music performances also powered by AR will showcase an exciting roster of budding local talent such as Flewnt, Mac-Eleven, SRISHA (pictured below), KrookLetter and Cry Baby. Walk down laneways to see musicians virtually ‘busking’ from the palm of your hand.
Ayesha Mehta, co-founder of GRID, says, “GRID Series is an artist’s development platform supporting and connecting outer suburban emerging creatives from under-served communities to the industry. We are incredibly excited to collaborate with Xplore Melbourne to further share the music and stories of local artists in such an innovative and interactive way for the community.”
Melbourne Symphony Orchestra will be presentimg ‘Love is a Temporary Madness’, The Symphonic Suite performed by The Melbourne Symphony Orchestra & Vanessa Perica Orchestra and Conducted by Benjamin Northey.
“We are focused on bringing back the buzz to Melbourne, which is why we are proud to support Xplore Melbourne through our City Reactivation Event Grant program”, says Lord Mayor Sally Capp.
“It will inspire people to rediscover our marvellous city by uncovering street artists, musicians, hidden bars and restaurants, accommodation discounts and more. Xplore promotes pride in Melbourne, supports our local businesses, helps to keep Melburnians in jobs and ensure our economic recovery is swifter and stronger.”
Xplore Melbourne scavenger hunt prizes include
- NGV – 10 double passes for current ticketed show at NGV – Gabrielle Chanel. Fashion Manifesto exhibition opening at the start of December.
- Grand Hyatt Melbourne – High Tea in Style by Cristina Re’ for two with free-flowing sparkling in Collins Kitchen for two, valued at $218
- Franco Jewellers – A necklace valued at $179 plus offering 25% off wedding and engagement rings for Xplore participants
- Quest Docklands – 2 x 2 nights at Quest Docklands
- Collins 234 – $100 gift card
- Royal Botanic Gardens – 2 x Forest Therapy Vouchers Post to reflect that the program isn’t currently running due to restrictions. Vouchers will be honoured for 12 months and can be redeemed once Forest Therapy starts again
- Docklands Private Collections – 2 nights in a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom platinum water view apartment including welcome champagne and car parking
- Temelli Jewellery are giving away a customised 9ct yellow or white gold initial necklace plus offering 10% off all jewellery in stock
- 3 x $500 vouchers to be spent in businesses within the CBD
- 10 x Maisie’s Moon Mission books
- Caps and other giveaways – collect from Visitors booth. Times and dates will be announced on Xplore Melbourne socials.