An impressive life skill, a fabulous connective activity, an immersion in Chinese food culture, and a romantic Valentine's Day party all in one.
What better way to spend Valentine’s Day than a comprehensive, hands-on dumpling making demonstration with a glass of matching champagne in-hand.
Otao Kitchen are hosting their Valentine’s Dumplings & Bubbles Party this Valentine’s Day, February 14 at 6:30pm, in their stunning, purpose-built cooking school on Victoria Street in Abbotsford.
Check out Beat Eats for the latest Melbourne food and booze news.
Otao Kitchen are the name in the game when it comes to learning Asian and international cooking, offering fantastic courses for a range of culinary desires, but Valentine’s Day offers an opportunity for them to loosen the aprons a little and engage in the art of authentic dumpling making in a relaxed, atmospheric setting.
With a highly comprehensive, hands-on demonstration, you’ll be guided by a expert chef, who’ll teach you to craft the exquisite delicacies as only a trained professional can. You’ll learn the folding and steaming processes and how to use a range of different spices and flavours, each with their own unique profiles.
Best of all, there’s a carefully selected bottle of sparkling wine included in each booking, where guests will experience a range of traditional and authentic Chinese dumplings. And at the end of the day, you eat to your heart’s content.
Up close and personal, it’s a truly fascinating process, and a skill that will see you become a star in the kitchen and a smash-hit at dinner parties. Not to mention, it’s a fun activity to be shared with a partner, one that’s sure to bring couples closer together.
- A hands-on demo teaching you how to make dumplings from scratch
- A small and intimate group setting
- Experience guided by a professional chef
- Enjoy a fun cooking, eating and social experience with your loved one
What to expect
- This hands-on making experience lasts for 1.5 to 2 hours
- A bottle of champagne per couple or equivalent in red or white wine or soft drinks
- Hands-on dumpling-making demonstration, teaching you to make (and then eat) your own dumplings
- Learn how to fold and steam your favourite dumplings
- Sit and eat together at the end with a glass of sparkling, wine or soft drink
Menu and ingredients
Otao Kitchen caters for a variety of dietary requirements, including vegetarian, gluten-free and vegan.
- Spices – Chilli, Spring onion, Shallots, Ginger, Chinese, Chives
- Seasoning and Sauce – Soy Sauce, Chinese Black Vinegar, Hoisin,
- Fish Sauce, Chilli Oil, Rice Wine
- Vegetables – Wongbok, Mushroom
- Vegetarian – Carrot, Peas, Carrot, Sweet Corn·
- Meats – Pork, Chicken, Beef
- Seafood – Fish and/or Prawn *Pescatarians*
- Plus dumpling skins – made from flour
Spaces are extremely limited to ensure an exclusive and relaxed atmosphere. Advance booking is highly recommended. Book here.