Because if we tried to make a real ice skating rink in this country, it would melt in all of five seconds.
It’s a classic winter wonderland experience with a summertime twist. Bring your wheels and head down to Carlton these next few weeks to try out the pop-up roller skating rink, located in Argyle Square.
Whether you’re looking for a rom-com-worthy date idea or a family activity to fill out the days before Christmas, the roller rink can’t be beat. There will be classic tunes bumping over the speakers and colourful disco lights bringing the vibes.
Entry is free, so if you’ve got your own pair of skates you can just hop on in. Otherwise, rent a pair for $10 – there will be both quads and blades available in sizes from Junior 10 to men’s 13.
Pop-up Christmas Roller Rink
- This all-ages holiday event will be taking place in Argyle Street in Carlton
- Entry is free, and skate rentals are only $10
- It will be running from December 14 until Christmas Eve
More free Christmas events in Melbourne
- Santa’s Workshop in Ho-Ho-Howey Place – transforming the laneway into a Christmas wonderland and creating a jolly good photo moment.
- Mesmerising Christmas projections – illuminating Melbourne Town Hall and the State Library Victoria.
- Sound and Light Shows each night at Christmas Square from 9pm – watch the city’s tree sparkle in all its glory.
- A pop-up Christmas-themed roller rink – keeping the free festive fun rolling into Carlton’s Argyle Square. Entry is free with your own skates
- The new-look Christmas Cinema – screening iconic festive films at the stunning Capitol Theatre.
- A festival maze in Docklands – inviting Melburnians to win their way through a full-sized labyrinth of giant presents and interactive games.
- Festive thrills and classic carnival treats – as the Christmas Carnival returns to the banks of the Yarra.
- The Listies Ruin Xmas – the acclaimed comedic duo returns to put the slay into sleighbells with an uproarious take on the holiday pantomime.
- The return of the Christmas Quest and Treasure Hunt – the ultimate Christmas-themed scavenger hunts with plenty of prizes to be won.
- Free Christmas walks – helping uncover the best of Christmas in the city at any time of day.
Stay up to date with what’s happening in and around Melbourne here.
All attractions are free, except the Listies Ruin Christmas and the Christmas Cinema. Proceeds for these events will go to the Good Giving appeal for Make Room – a City of Melbourne project creating new pathways out of homelessness.
“It’s the most tree-mendous time of the year! Our spectacular Christmas Festival will transform the city into a festive wonderland – creating an unmistakeable buzz in the air for city visitors, while boosting holiday trade for our businesses,” Lord Mayor Sally Capp said.
“Last year’s festival attracted more than 1.4 million people, generating a $130 million economic impact. This year’s program is jam-packed with festive fun for the whole family to enjoy – from Christmas-themed movies to thrilling carnival rides, and a captivating new Christmas River Show.”